#peekFor:, Squeak, and ANSI

Jarvis, Robert P. (Contingent) Jarvisb at timken.com
Thu Dec 19 14:02:16 UTC 2002

> From: Richard A. O'Keefe [mailto:ok at cs.otago.ac.nz]
>
> 1. Is this an error in the ANSI specification?

Given the explicit wording in the standard it appears to me that the
implementations are non-conforming, perhaps for historical reasons.

> 2. Is this a deliberate change to make #peekFor: only do peeking?

It looks that way to me.  Perhaps someone who was on the committee could
clarify this.

> 3. Is this something Squeak and VAST have changed?

These implementations almost certainly pre-date the standard.

> 4. Do other Smalltalks do the same as Squeak?

VisualWorks and Dolphin Smalltalk implement peekFor: in the same way as
Squeak.

Bob Jarvis
Compuware @ Timken

This message and any attachments are intended for the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended
recipient, please do not forward, copy, print, use or disclose this
communication to others; also please notify the sender by
replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.

The Timken Company