OSProcess problem (was: Failing SUnit tests in 3.4b)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Dec 22 14:21:16 UTC 2002

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 11:43:43PM -0500, Phil Hargett wrote:

> Okay, I did try try your suggestion, and here's what I get:
>
>  #('SocketPlugin 21 December 2002 (i)' 'B2DPlugin 21 December 2002 (i)'
> 'Matrix2x3Plugin 21 December 2002 (i)' 'FloatArrayPlugin 21 December 2002
> (i)' 'BitBltPlugin 21 December 2002 (i)' 'LargeIntegers v1.2 21 December
> 2002 (i)' 'UnixOSProcessPlugin 21 December 2002 (i)' 'SecurityPlugin 21
> December 2002 (i)' 'FilePlugin 21 December 2002 (i)' 'MiscPrimitivePlugin
> 21 December 2002 (i)')
>
> As you can see, UnixOSProcessPlugin is internal.
>
> I also decided to be thorough, so I flushed my vm source directory,
> flushed my VM build directory, had VMMaker regenerate all the sources, and
> do a complete configure/make/make install (actually, checkinstall)--and it
> still happens.  My platform sources come from Ian Pumarta's Unix
> distribution, and I'm using version 3.2-6.
>
> So here's a question: perhaps this is more of an OS issue?  I am running
> Debian *testing* after all--that means XFree86 version 4.2, and a more
> recent libc6 than the stable version (if I remember correctly).  With both
> of these, it's quite likely that there is a subtle change that the Squeak
> source code has not taken into account.
>
> It's a stumper, isn't it? :)

Yes, I'm stumped!

I guess it's possible that it would be an OS library issue, although I
would not have expected that given that you are building from source.

I can't really test this myself right now (my linux is too old to run Ian's
3.2-6 binary, and I don't seem to have the right stuff in my image to
generate code that matches the 3.2-6 platforms source, and ... hey, it's
December 22 and I have not done my Christmas shopping yet ;-)

So is anyone else seeing problems like this? OSProcess test cases crashing
the 3.2-6 Linux VM?

Dave