basicIsSqueak test

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Mon Dec 23 00:35:30 UTC 2002

Benoit St-Jean wrote:

>What about something like:
>
>Object superclass notNil
>and:
>[Object superclass name == #ProtoObject]

ProtoObject exists in VisualWorks (though not in the base image). GLORP
put it there. It isn't currently the superclass of Object, though, but
when Cincom proceeds with GLORP, I don't know if that will remain the case.

>or even better:
>
>(Smalltalk respondsTo: #vmVersion) and: [(Smalltalk
>vmVersion copyFrom: 1 to: 6) = 'Squeak']

I like this one. Is it reliable?

>Okay...  There's a zillion ways to do this...  We just
>need to pick one that is elegant, simple and clean...

Which is why I'm hoping to call on the collective wisdom of the Squeak
community for this simplistic-sounding problem.

Nevin