LGPL and SqueakMap

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Mon Dec 23 04:09:19 UTC 2002

Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:

>> But in any case, it certainly *is* the current opinion of many that
>> LGPL is certainly good for more than "just VM plugins".  I am one of
>> those people.  I strongly disagree with the statement on SqueakMap
>> that states it that way (though I personally completely agree with
>> Andrew's statement about GPL code).
>

> Many?  How many is that?  How many have seriously considered LGPL in
> monolithic images for widely distributed open source Smalltalks?

It wouldn't be appropriate to name specific names within a public forum,
however suffice it to say that I'm not aware of a single prominent "Camp
Smalltalk" person who believes LGPL is a problem.  You can google Camp
Smalltalk discussions and see some of it yourself.

There are likewise a number of prominent Cincom folks who don't think it
is a problem.  Pick a Cincomer, then google on GLORP plus their name,
and you can see for yourself.

And this doesn't even mention private conversations about the topic.

Nevin