LGPL and SqueakMap

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Mon Dec 23 19:13:10 UTC 2002

Julian Fitzell wrote:

> What about the case where someone adds a method to an LGPL'ed class?
> This method is part of their package and it's only called by their
> package.  All it is doing is making calls to parts of the LGPL'ed
> class.  We do this all the time in Smalltalk... the method is
> logically part of another package but attached to the LGPL'ed class.
> Does that mean that method has to be LGPL'ed?  Does the whole package?
>
> Julian

Objective-C has exactly the same issue, and there doesn't seem to be any
confusion with it and LGPL.

In Objective-C, an external library is roughly analagous to a Smalltalk
change set.

Now as an example, a "proprietary" library can add methods to classes in
an existing LGPL library without needing the source code of the LGPL
library to do it.  And the reverse is also possible-- an LPGL library
can add methods to classes in a proprietary library without needing
source code to the proprietary library to do it.

And there doesn't seem to be any issues as long as they are in separate
libraries (i.e., separate change sets for Smalltalk).

Nevin