LGPL and SqueakMap

Anthony Hannan ajh18 at cornell.edu
Tue Dec 24 15:37:03 UTC 2002

I don't see why having an image is any different from having a file
system.  To me, an image is analogous to the bits on your hard drive.
It holds a whole operating system.  You make changes to you operating
system (add applications) be executing installers.  That is analogous to
filing in changesets into an image.  It seems the world excepts these
installers as having different licenses.  Why can't changesets, or
classes, or methods, or packages have different licenses?

Distributing a whole image is analogous to distributing a whole
operating system, like RedHat Linux or Microsoft Windows.  How do they
handle all the different licenses in their distribution?  We should do
something similar.

Cheers,
Anthony