Pocket PC Performance

Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Thu Dec 26 17:28:46 UTC 2002

  Hello,

> I am pleased to announce that Squeak does run on the Audiovox Maestro, which
> is a rebranded Toshiba e570 with 32MB of RAM.  I bought it for its CF2 (IBM
> Microdrive compatible!) and SD slots!  Cool!

  Conglatulations!  Which VM you're using?  The VM at

http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/tmp/SqueakWithMemorySlider.zip

is supposed to be slightly easier to configure the memory space size.

> I am disappointed in the very sluggish performance I get from Squeak on my
> 206MHz StrongARM computer.  The last time Smalltalk felt so slow for me was
> when I ran Smalltalk/V v2.0 on a 7.88MHz Tandy 1000SX back in 1988.  Why is
> it so slow, and is there anything I can do about this?  Settings perhaps?
>
> Is MVC more usable?  TinySqueak doesn't have MVC.

  MVC is way snappier and definitely usable.

> I ran the following two benchmarks:
>
> Time millisecondsToRun: [
>  1 to: 10000 do: [ :i | i printString ] ]
>
> This gave me slightly more than 12000 milliseconds.  :-(

  On 400MHz XScale iPAQ, the results of this test is around 13000.

> Time millisecondsToRun: [
>  1 to: 1000000 do: [ :i |  ] ]
>
> This gave me slightly more than 900 milliseconds.

  And this is 556 msecs.  (Those result parallels with the other
benchmarks on XScale.)

> So object allocation and garbage collection are the culprits?

  Or overall memory access, I'm guessing.

  Would you mind to try the following tests I posted a few weeks ago
on your Genio, err Maestro?

-----------------------------------
  Before the test, set the screen to full screen mode and display
depth to 16.

--- test1 ---
| rect |
rect _ (0 at 0 extent: 224 at 224).
Smalltalk garbageCollect.
^ [1 to: 200 do: [:i |
	Display forceToScreen: rect.
]] timeToRun
  (On XScale 400MHz, it is about 1900 msecs.)

--- test2 ---
| f g |
f _ Form extent: 224 at 224 depth: 16.
g _ Form extent: 224 at 224 depth: 16.
Smalltalk garbageCollect.
[200 timesRepeat: [f displayOn: g at: 0 at 0 rule: Form over]] timeToRun.