[FIX] via source forge updates

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Feb 1 18:24:19 UTC 2002

>  > I think we can do this, it's a bit more work for initial mac setup
>>  because you must hunt for all the files. Ya someday we *might* be
>>  able to build a pb project in VMMaker, we'll see.
>
>So, what's different about startup between win32 and mac?  Is it that
>platforms file copy is turned off, requiring you to hand edit the Makefile?
>
>You've reminded me that there is another difference between VMMaker 3.1.3
>and 3.2.5.  First, 3.2.5 puts internal plugins into 'vm/intplugins', by
>default.  Second, 3.2.5 does not copy the platform files.  Win32 doesn't
>want to do either at this point.  Does the mac?

The issue is when you first open the pb project you find you have no
files, because the metadata is storing some sort of magic number that
helps locate the files. Thus you must hunt and add all the files to
the project using the mouse. If they are all in one directory that is
easy because you shift-click the majority of the files into the
project. By breaking them up into different folders, you make that
*one* time operation much more tedious.

>In win32, I want the file copy to occur for now.  Then there is no mucking
>about with the Makefile targets.  Ya someday we *,might* generate Makefile
>targets, based on plugin configuration.  :)
>
>>  Also is that win VM really support long file names and 64 bit large
>>  files (or whatever limits Bill gives you?)
>
>Andreas, will have to answer this one; I'm just the indentured servant.  I
>do know that it compiles with all of the most recent changes, both
>changesets and 'Cross' platform files.
>
>Rob

Hint, create a directory with 255 char name, create a 5 GB file with
255 char name, open up a file list, go see if you can view how big,
open, and with a bit of fiddling in the inspector set the postion to
the end, back off 1 byte, and get the new position.