A Scheme interpreter for Squeak

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Fri Feb 1 19:07:41 UTC 2002

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Bergel Alexandre wrote:

> > Allow me to bequeath the name I thought up back when I intended to work on
> > it: Squeme (for Squeak Scheme). Those who use it are most Squemish :)
>
> Good idea, for future release I will change the name.

Cool! Count me as Squemish!

> > Looking at your page, I note you don't say how much of, oh, R5RS it
> > implements. Hmm. It's also an interpreter? I.e., it doesn't work like
> > Prolog/V? That's still interesting.
>
> When BlockClosure will be really supported by official vm, I will try
> to produce some squeak bytecode. I have that in mind since a good
> while...

Nice. It would be really groovy if something like this evolved in to a
Kawa like framework for implementing multiple langauges.

> > Hmm. I see SchemeClosure and SchemeContext but no
> > SchemeContinuation? (Sorry, this sounds critical...it's not! I'm just
> > trying to figure out the parameters.)
>
> Perhaps for a future release (-:

Sure!

Hmm. Right now I'm having trouble using it in a 3.3a-4689+ image. I used
the Repository code snippet, but when I try Scheme class>>openInterpreter,
I get a walkback on SchemeEnvironment new (in Scheme>>initialize). It
seems like the code doesn't see the SchemeEnvironment class, but think it
refers to nil. If I "do it" that specific line (i.e., SchemeEnviroment
new) it gives me a *new* walkback on SchemeNil new. Which, when doneited,
works fine.

I think I must be having some module trouble.

Cheers,
Bijan.