[FIX] via source forge updates

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Feb 1 18:39:05 UTC 2002

Rob Withers wrote:

> I would recommend that we Consolidate all of the plaform makers into one
> version of VMMaker, doing the appropriate things with 'intplugins'.  The
> default ought to be with no intplugins, I would think.

I certainly want to see the three versions consolidated (see the project
report from yesterday), but it really needs to be by 'upgrading' the win
& mac makefiles unless that is shown to be impossible.

Using src/vm/intplugins was suggested as a way to avoid the possible
clash of filenames as the number of plugins increases and as a way to
make it easy to put plugin specific makefiles/fragments in place. For
example, this makes building mpeg3plugin somewhat simpler.

Avoiding copying of files was vociferously demanded by some developers.
It has benefits in terms of the simplicity of editing the right files
but it does slightly complicate the production of a
single-platform-ready source tree.

Both of these only require changes to the makefiles to cause them to
look in three places for file instead of one (since files are no longer
copied into the one place) and to do the right include file lookup
stuff. I really doubt it is difficult to do; plenty of projects I've
worked on have required as much.

tim

PS. You can avoid the'problem' of internal plugins being placed in
src/vm/intplugins by not using internal plugins, of course. However, I
seem to remember reading in the distant past that windows users are
supposedly too dim to be able to cope with that :-)