[SqF]Report of VI4 Project for Feb '02

Martin McClure martin at hand2mouse.com
Sat Feb 2 02:27:03 UTC 2002

At 3:15 PM -0800 2/1/02, Tim Rowledge wrote:
>This is the initial report for the VI4 Project group.
>
>Goal: This project is intended to gather together all the vm and vi
>related changes that have been proposed and which require a different
>image format.

One more possible change: It was brought up a few months back that
the number of object header bits devoted to identity hash (10 or 11
bits, IIRC) wasn't enough to allow efficient hashed identity
collections that were very large. It would be nice to have more bits
for this purpose. On the other hand, I don't really want to increase
the footprint for small-memory systems, and I don't want to give up
image portability either, so I'm not sure I really want to propose
making the header larger.

But we should see if there's anything clever we can do in this area.

Also, as was discussed back then, it would improve things to make the
identity hash reported by the VM have a larger range than 0-1023,
even if it can only have 1024 different values. I think I proposed
multiplying the current value by 65537, a prime number of roughly the
right magnitude. This wouldn't require an image format change as
such, but it would require rehashing all existing hashed identity
collections, including method dictionaries. (I haven't rechecked my
facts, this is all from memory, so please correct me if I've got any
of the details wrong.)

There may have been more discussion of this within the last three
months that I have missed; I've been away from the list until
recently.

-Martin