AW: AW: -- Whats this 'AW:' mean?

Henrik Gedenryd h.gedenryd at open.ac.uk
Sat Feb 2 12:03:50 UTC 2002

Cees de Groot wrote:

> I agree. Given, of course, that English is not a majority language in this
> world, we really should settle on either Chinese or Spanish for the subject...
>
> (did that sound sarcastic? Well, it was meant to. Go to large parts of the
> worlds, and people will *not* understand English and - justifiably - have no
> sympathy at all with such views. I fail to see why Germans should generally
> use something they don't understand when they send mails just in case that
> someone somewhere in the USofA is inconvenienced because his mailreader
> doesn't follow in-reply-to when threading.... Really, everyone in Germany
> understands 'Antwort'. If there's one thing to complain about, it is that the
> related RFC's are lacking here which apparently necessitates the Re/AW/...
> thingies in Subject: lines).

N.B: "Re" is Latin (re or res, "(the) thing"). I.e. the English language
sometimes use Latin in short forms, viz., "i.e." (id est), "e.g." (exempli
gratia), "viz.", (videlicet), "N.B." (nota bene), "PS" (post scriptum),
"etc." (et cetera), etc.

I.e. this should make "Re" less objectionable to some. ;-)

And I would like topics sorted properly too.

Henrik

PS. Besserwisser is not Latin. But then again, English speakers may not be
familiar with the term...