AW: AW: -- Whats this 'AW:' mean?

Cees de Groot cg at home.cdegroot.com
Sat Feb 2 12:27:10 UTC 2002

Henrik Gedenryd <h.gedenryd at open.ac.uk> said:
>I.e. this should make "Re" less objectionable to some. ;-)

Well, apart from the fact that it's only used and understood in Anglosaxon
countries (English is probably the most cobbled-up language I know :-))

Funny, you suddenly reminded me of that Perl hack that used Latin inflections
in order to make clear e.g. what LHS and RHS of assignments were, so you could
freely mix up statements to match your poetic preferences...

#! /usr/local/bin/perl -w
use Lingua::Romana::Perligata;
maximum inquementum tum biguttam egresso scribe.
meo maximo vestibulo perlegamentum da.
da duo tum maximum conscribementa meis listis.
dum listis decapitamentum damentum nexto
   fac sic
      nextum tum novumversum scribe egresso.
      lista sic hoc recidementum nextum cis vannementa da listis.
   cis.

(http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~damian/papers/HTML/Perligata.html). In plain
Perl:

print STDOUT 'maximum:';
my $maxim = <STDIN>;
my (@list) = (2..$maxim);
while ($next = shift @list)
    {
	print STDOUT $next, "\n";
	@list = grep {$_ % $next} @list;
    }

It's an interesting data point in the argument "how far to go when
internationalizing Squeak" ;-)

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>