Iteration Speed, Collections, and speed

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Feb 2 23:09:40 UTC 2002

> What this means in using Squeak is that you can't opt out to the C++ dumb
> ass solution of "I got a list of 10K items, I'll just grovel through them to
> find the one I want."  What is ignorable in C++ is a slow mover in
> Smalltalk.

This isn't always the case.  For example, look at the code behind
senders-of sometime, which grovels through more than 10k objects.

	#allCallsOn:   "implementors-of"

The speed difference in Smalltalk and C++ only matters for medium-speed
programs.  Really fast programs are still fast, while really slow
programs need to be rewritten anyway  Medium-speed programs are around,
but they are a minority, and thus doing it the dumb and simple way is a
great technique for Smalltalk, too.

-Lex