[SqF]Report of VI4 Project for Feb '02

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sat Feb 2 18:59:37 UTC 2002

Andreas Raab wrote:

> > iii) Two-bit oop tags

> I'm against this modification. Reasons:

I'm not strongly opined one way or the other myself. On the one hand,
immediate chars works well for VW, on the other, it does indeed mean
quite a bit of work.

> * Decreased SmallInteger range.
Not neccesarily. One could use
*1 -> SmallInt
10 -> other immed, other bits provide details (unless only immed chars
is used)
00 -> oop

No loss of precision caused.

> In short, I vote against this proposal because I have yet to see a
> compelling reason for the advantage of whatever the new immediate class
> would be compared to the combination of added complexity and possible
> negative side effects, in particular those related to VM and plugin
> interface modifications.
I agree that there is not yet a compelling reason. That's why it is on
the list to consider on what might be the last practical opportunity to
give it due attention.

Other opinions? HMM, do you to present the case _for_ twobit tags?

tim