[BUG?][Modules] Filing things in that modify classes in existing Modules?

Henrik Gedenryd h.gedenryd at open.ac.uk
Sun Feb 3 11:22:07 UTC 2002

danielv at netvision.net.il wrote:

> I'm trying to file in the RefactoringBrowser in order to make it Modules
> compatible, and hit a snag right at the start

I'll give you a short answer now since this is a large issue. The RB is a
massive piece of code and is probably among the hardest things to even get
to fileIn properly. I did work on this at one point and have a few resulting
files you can ask me for if want to have a look.

But beyond fileIn, the RB will also need to be changed in its logic, since
e.g. the semantics of global variables has changed.

So moving the RB forward is probably among the hardest things one could take
on.

> - filing in modifications
> to Exception, the system objects - it appears to expect such file ins to
> be either mistakes or separate classes, I don't get an option to choose
> to put the modifications into a DeltaModule.

There is a special import message you should use, look at the bottom of the
ModuleExplorer. Mere code is put in DeltaModules automatically, but if you
modify the class format of existing classes then it can't handle that yet.
(DMs can't do that yet either.) Volunteers to fix this are welcome.

The change set mechanism hasn't been modified at all.

It seems your problem is that your Exception redefinition has the wrong
system category, so it is warning about trying to create a second instance
of Exception in a different module. See a previous posting about that. But
does this give you a walkback? It shouldn't.

Henrik