SoundIn in MacOS X?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Feb 3 19:18:12 UTC 2002

>I upgraded to MacOS X two days ago, and haven't yet recovered.
>ARGH! I can't believe the number of things that have gone wrong!
>None of my computer music apps work anymore, all my iTunes playlists
>are lost, I can't seem to print from home yet...<sigh>

ITunes comes in os-9 and os-x versions, and both have different ideas
of were the data gets stored. You might need to see where those
playlists actually got stored and move them around.

>Fortunately, Squeak seems to MOSTLY work under OS X.  Sound and MIDI
>playback works (HOORAY!), but I can't seem to get sound-in working.
>I know that Sound-In works in general -- I can record from Amadeus
>II -- but the Sound recorder in Squeak doesn't seem to recognize any
>sound at all.
>
>Any suggestions?
>Thanks!
>  Mark

Mmm if Squeak mach-o os-x doesn't *MOSTLY* work, please email me any
crash dumps.

Sound in.
Go to Wal-Mart, buy a steve jobs doll, and some pins...

No... Well it's like this the fellow who did the OMS stuff has moved
to Apple and they are busy  reworking the underpinnings for MIDI etc.
But that has distracted them from actually getting the existing
ancient obsolete interfaces which Squeak uses to work under OS-X. In
3.2.2 I open up the default sound device, which is set by the speech
system preferences, and I get zero's back from the recording api.
Just a small bug somewhere.

The off-hand solution seems to be to use the Core Audio framework.
Sigh. However  since this seems to be the last hurdle for Squeak on
OS-X it's on my short list of things to look at.