[modules] How to convert pools

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Sun Feb 3 21:57:20 UTC 2002

Hi

I like the fact, that pools are now globals defined within a module. I
didn't like the pools. I as well like that if something new is introduced
something old is phased out.

On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Andreas Raab wrote:

> * categories vs. modules: Categorization is independent from modules.
> When I saw that the new scheme makes category == module I was baffled.
> Why can't I put two classes from different modules into the same
> category? Or why can't I put classes from the same module into different
> categories? The current notion of module == category means that we're
> loosing one useful level of structuring here.

I think it is OK to give the class category some real significance. Up
until now it was just a way of grouping classes in the browser's class
list with no other function. However there should be a way for a smooth
transition.

> * 'As yet unclassified' module: I think we've all agreed on making the
> module system as unintrusive as possible for the average weekend hacker.
> What I'm really missing is some "as yet unclassified" module which ought
> to be the default for your weekend hacker.

I don't mind that I have to put the new classes I am doing into a module
(people HannesHirzel).

I do not yet fully understand the concept of DeltaModules. If I alter an
existing class (for example add a new method to the class String), where
does the addition go to? Into a DeltaModule? Which one?

(I read the page on DeltaModules: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2063)

> What I'm envisioning here is basically that we have (at first)
> everything in the "as yet unclassified" module. People will work there
> exactly as they did before - no harm done if you don't want to live
> modules. When you _do_ you have tools to re-classify and fix your module
> definitions in order to get a serious module.

Probably a chicken and egg problem. We can't avoid to 'muddle through'.
Introducing the modules is a chance to clean things up. People who are
not feeling comfortable in doing this can use the version 3.3a-4664 (the
one before modules got introduced) and wait some time.

To sum up: I think introducing modules will greatly help the Squeak
community to grow.

Cheers
Hannes Hirzel