[modules] How to convert pools

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Feb 4 11:45:05 UTC 2002

Just some thoughts about the experience I got with Pool in old VW.

I think that the problem with Pools is that they are static. (I did not
checked in Squeak) but in VW pool have to be defined before the method that
make references to them. To that regards Pools are not equal to class
methods of a class that would represent the Pool.

So I always thought that Pools were kind of ad-hoc.

I do not know what you think about that but I have the impression that Pools
were an optimization rather than something really needed.

In the new VW5, I understood that the semantics of Pool is more dynamic
which raises issues of concurrent synchronization. (I cannot tell more
because I never look carefully at it).

Stef