Bigger fonts + truetype font converter

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Mon Feb 4 19:38:45 UTC 2002

At 17:19 +0100 2/4/02, Kris Gybels wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Just a question on fonts in Squeak. I am trying to make a presentation about Smalltalk to introduce it to students. Rather than making a powerpoint presentation or whatever I was thinking on using a BookMorph since that would allow me to easily show what code does during the presentation. Unfortunately Squeak's default fonts are rather small for using them in a presentation that is to be projected on the wall.
>
>How can I get fonts bigger than the default set?
>
>I tried installing new fonts using the truetype font converter:
>
>TTFontReader installTTF: aPathAndFileNameOfaTTFfile asTextStyle: #FontName sizes: #(12 14 16 18 20 24)
>
>but the resulting font looked quite horrible. (the letters are there alright but they seem to be composed of alternating black and white pixels and I can't change the color of the text, wrong bith depth perhaps?).
>
>Anyone have any idea on fixing that?
>
>Greets,
>K. Gybels

It's a feature, not a bug. :-)

I think the lack of anything like modern font support in Squeak is a major deficiency, but there seems to be no way to use TrueType directly due to patent problems.

I think that the splotchy results you get are a Mac/Squeak feature, at least that's what I get. On Windows, you should see something more realistic, but only for fonts 30 points and above.

Sad, isn't it?

Dave
--
David N. Smith