Toch weer antwoord: RE: Antwoord: Squeak Internationalization (vo orheen: Re: AW: AW: -- Whats this 'AW:' mean?)

G.J.Tielemans at dinkel.utwente.nl G.J.Tielemans at dinkel.utwente.nl
Tue Feb 5 12:18:31 UTC 2002

Thanks for your explanation. I only was wondering how you handle the subtile
details in the way you arrange the words in a sentence and make a lot of
diffence or in spoken language the diffent levels of of speechtone that give
exactly the same sentence a complete different meaning like in Chinese?
Or in signlanguage were two experts use the space in front of them to make
gestures in a diffent part of this room, giving it a different nuance?

And real communication lives in these details, every non-native speaker
discovers this problem..

===================

A little background for my (old and almost forgotten) interst in this
subject: you can skip it.

In 1981 I was a psychology student with a minor in informatics for the
social sciences.

As final project I created a concept keyboard for a speech-handicaped
person. This person (my little sister in law) was living in a mental
hospital and could hardly communicate...we thought, until we discoverd that
she learned Dutch Sign Language from another (deaf) child on their own...
(In these days Sign Languages was still not done for deaf people in Holland,
although we all new that the use it all the time when they are outside the
view of the staff.. Convention of Milan 1800 or so..)

I did look for Bliss in this situation, but then again she also only could
speak with the people who also were master in Bliss. (I think this is also
an introduction problem if you want to use it on the normal email-list of
Squeak: where do you show the short list on the screen in an emailprogram?
Yellowpaper on the monitor, yes but we are all human and some of us have a
partner with another concept of a clean desk..)

Back to the story: So I decided to use the picture-book she already knew for
telling at home what se did in the residence home. (she showed us the
pictures, we read the subscripts.)
My father made a wooden box, my brother made the touchboard and I connected
it to a computer - the cheapest I could afford :Tandy model I,Hongkong
imitation, and a voicesynthesizer Votrax(?) with an American English
text-to-speech algorithm: I tricked the machine to pronounce a soft G like
in my name Ger - I forgot the tric -

On the board she could place A4 papers with a thematic set of pictures on it
(the board could recognise the paper by the holes on the leftside) If she
pointed to a picture, the system pronounced the word and so she could learn
new sets on her own. (lack of Staff to help her was another point.)
We did some tests with Lotto pictures and we both liked this game.
At the end she said always goodbye to the man in the machine.
Proudly I made a phonecall to another institute and told the man about my
project:
"Boy, our patients aren't Monkeys"