[ANN] Documentation Website

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Tue Feb 5 15:51:08 UTC 2002

G.J.Tielemans at dinkel.utwente.nl wrote:
> OK. you pass the exam with the correct answers, Yes I saw your own work on
> the first page, but found vBulletin in the deeper pages for the forumtool
> etc.
>
> ...now just wait for the Squeak people to improve the concept of Nuke, for
> example inside Scamper or inside my favorite Swiki. (including connecting to
> MySQL..)

Well, SqueakDot is aiming for a few of these things. Regarding Swiki
though - it is a neat piece of software - we use it a lot and have made
several enhancements. But I don't feel comfortable in the architecture
or the code. ;-)

And since I despise having to work with relational dbs I aim for other
forms of persistence. OODBs and similar technologies make life soooo
much simpler and more OO.

> Another thing I liked on the WWW was the possibilty to have chat contact
> with other people when you are active in your favorite environment. I saw
> this in XML cooktop 2.200: When you open your browser you can open a
> conversation with other online editor users. The tool connects you automatic
> with a chatbox for the cooktop-group implemented in open source Jabber. (It
> does this in a second window, so you have the choice to use it or not) In
> Squeak we have the build-in project areas, this could be an addition: of
> course we need different chatrooms, beginner-rooms with moderators, expert

Yes, there are a lot of interesting things we could do. SqueakDot starts
with a focus on simple web technology - mostly because I needed such a
framework for my own project - but also
since it is a "good start".

But the coolest things in collaboration should IMHO be done in Squeak.
No HTTP and no HTML to limit the possibilities. One things I have been
thinking about would be to have a server you could connect to (if you
want) and let Squeak report "events" that you select - for example, you
could let it report what base classes you edit or which class comments
you look at.

Then other developers can "subscribe" to selected events and get
feedback directly in the tools. This would enable a tool to say "Pling!"
when someone read your class comment. And then you could think "Oh,
dear, Dan Ingalls is reading my silly outdated commend, I should update
that ASAP..." and click on Dan and send him a short message like "Sorry
Dan, a new comment is coming in 60 seconds.".

That would be cool. A publish/subscribe system for "developer events".
Ooooh, my code fingers itch...

> rooms, shared big project rooms (maybe here with a variant of CVS? Can
> soemone give a url for a good up to date text about modern CVS?)

Eh, how did CVS get into the picture? I know quite a lot about CVS (I
have implemented the CVS pserver protocol in Squeak) and can't really
see the fit.

regards, Göran