[FIX] via source forge updates

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Feb 5 18:01:31 UTC 2002

> Actually squeakFileOffsetType needs to map to whatever the operating
> system uses for 64 bit file offsets. If there is no 64 bit offsets,
> then it needs to map to whatever is used for 32bit offsets.

An alternative is not to have squeakFileOffsetType, and for the core of
Squeak just to use 64-bit integers.  Platform-specific code can
translate this to whatever is appropriate on the platform, just like
graphics and sound data are translated.  Trying to make the core of
Squeak use the format of the underlying machine seems to add
difficulties.

> squeakInt64 needs to map to what we want to use for 64 bit integers,
> right now that is long long int, or long int. It could be a
> structure, but then we start to need platform support. Right now
> mapping it to long long int, or long int so fine until some brave
> fellow wants to make it work on non-64bit compiler platforms.

What platform support would be required to use struct's ?  They require
some C code, but that code will work on all platforms.  Overall, the
struct solution seems to sidestep a lot of possible problems, and it
definitely works on every platform Squeak already runs on.

-Lex