Prospectus [was Re: [ALL] Stop talking....do it

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Wed Feb 6 15:57:13 UTC 2002

>Stephane Ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> said:
>>So I started to see some projects moving on so this is good, but I think
>>that we should move faster. So when is the deadline for having a war plan
>>for SqF? Should we propose some budgeted actions? Who is responsible for
> >that?

And Cees replied...
>The war plan is that before we accept money, we incorporate SqF so that
>there is an entity to send the money to. The deadline for setting up SqF
>has been self-imposed by Dan and accepted by the rest and is in June
>(I would have to dig into the archives to see whether it was June 1 or
>June 30, I think the former).

Yes, June 1, but that was just a date by which to have put in place something more democratically determined than the interim structure.

In fact I think we can be legal enough to accept money in something like a month, and I think we should continue to press in this direction.  We lost a couple of weeks because of a misunderstanding about who had the ball, but I think we're back on track or will be soon.

That said, even if it took two months to become official, it is never too soon to find sponsors.  I think it would be a very informative exercise to assemble a prospectus:  a reasonable presentation saying what we're about and where contributions would go.  That would allow anyone to solicit funds in a consistent manner without creating a lot of confusion.

I would say this is a candidate project of fairly high priority, and probably belongs in the PR and Web Presence project.  I am not willing to take it on, so this is a challenge to all for a bit of self-organization.

In support, however, I will boost the priority of getting out a "Where Squeak is Headed" for review and presentation to the board.  That, presumably, would be a useful backbone for all our organizational and financial projects.

	- Dan