Bug? WindowsVM or other problem?

Daniel Joyce daniel.a.joyce at worldnet.att.net
Wed Feb 6 23:03:33 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 06 February 2002 01:33 pm, you wrote:
> Tim Rowledge wrote:
> > Trying
> > 10000000 timeRepeat: [ Smalltalk beep]
> > might also be interesting. My guess is that it will make a very long
> > beeping noise rather than a lot of beeps. Let us know...
>
> I tried it in Linux. Results are very strange. There's a more or less
> continuous static warble interspaced with distinct pulses of beeps. I
> suspect that the hardware (board speaker) might be having problems
> keeping up.
>
> Stranger yet, by hitting the user interupt I was able -- entirely by
> accident -- to get XMMS playing an Echo and the Bunnymen track while
> Squeak carried on beeping (when the interrupt was cancelled)!
>
> Cheers
>
> John

	Well, are you using OSS or OSS / Alsa?

	The sound architecture on Linux, especially under Alsa is very interesting.

	The warbling beeps is due to Alsa playing the beeps as fast as possible,
so the next beep is played before the previous one completes. The distinct
beep pulses may be from the sound queue filling up, or some other thing
having to do with buffers.

	The fact you can play multiple sounds together should not be suprising, I
mean, XMMS along with KDE window noises, and other noisy apps, again comes
from Alsa's sound buffering, and mixing.

	Daniel.