squeak printing?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Feb 7 12:40:55 UTC 2002

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 11:09:48AM +0100, Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> > John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I'm wondering if there is any interest in printing from Squeak on the
> > >mac. It seem Apple has made it a wee bit more friendly to print
> > >either a bitmap/form or dump postscript into a print stream.

	<snip>

> Under Linux one could probably easily feed the output of Marcel Weiher's
> postscript framework to the system printing  queue.

Dumping Postscript to an external print queue would be nice. With a bit
of hackery on top of CommandShell/OSProcess, it could be implemented as:

	aMorph asPostscript pipeTo: 'lpr'

Does OSProcess work on OS/X? and does OS/X use a unixy sort of print
queueing system? If so, I'll volunteer to do the CommandShell hack.

> Coming up with a solution which works reasonably at on the
> major platforms is probably the challenge.

Right.

Dave