squeak printing?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Feb 7 17:24:20 UTC 2002

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 06:53:12AM -0800, Alan Kay wrote:
> Folks --
>
> This has always flabbergasted me. Why isn't the standard print port
> on current day OS's represented at least by a pseudofile called
> "Print".

It is.

On a single user Unix system, it will be called something like
'/dev/lp0'. On MSDOS, it's LP0: (I assume that still is the case for
Windows). And so forth.

>From the point of view of Squeak, print spooling systems do two
useful things:

1) Allow sharing the printer with other people, programs, or computers.

2) Provide a convenient way to plug in a Postscript interpreter if
your printer does not already have one.

Dave