[License]: need expert

Steve Gilbert steven.l.gilbert at lmco.com
Thu Feb 7 17:34:07 UTC 2002

Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi
>
> We (esug) are in contact with some guys from the free Software foundation in
> europe. They told us that they may help us to advertise an Free Software
> Samlltalk day at ESUG (apparently they are religious about the difference
> between open source and free software) ... but when we mentioned squeak they
> asked us if Squeak license has been reviewed or approved by the Free
> Software Foundation or
> OSI (www.opensource.org).
>
> Can somebody tell me more about that and if nobody contacted these
> organization, is there a real issues why nobody contacted them or this is
> just because it just did not happen?
>
> Stef

Seems like we cover this ground about once a quarter.

The main question here is; in a perfect world, what type of license
would Squeak have?

And the next is actually in two parts:

Do we need to get Apple to release title to get to this desired license?
 or,
Can we get the desired wording while allowing Apple to retain title?

Both of these would seem to require some sort of "lawyer" to work out
the details, which possibly means costs in fees.

It seems that the community needs to come to a consensus as to whether
Squeak needs to change the license or not; which includes consideration
of the possible costs involved.  Then we need to put the issue to bed,
for the near term, by either living with the license as is, or taking
the steps necessary to change it.

Seems like an issue that would be a natural for the SqF, once it's
established. In fact SqF could probably retain the Squeak software
"title".

Then if the issue is raised again, we will either have a rationale as to
why it isn't being changed, or we will be moving forward to get it
changed.

Disclaimer:
All appearances of "amateur lawyering" are entirely accidental. Besides
I'm an amateur software engineer, it just so happens that I get paid to
do it!

Steve