[License]: need expert

Daniel Joyce daniel.a.joyce at worldnet.att.net
Thu Feb 7 20:17:25 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 06 February 2002 09:05 am, you wrote:
> Everyone is an amateur lawyer ....
>
> Remember the law as it is generally set up now is in terms of words
> to be argued about. There is very little actual logic anywhere (pace
> Andrew!).
>
> It is a really interesting question then, as to what "export"
> actually means in terms of the Internet. We are certainly not sending
> the Squeak software anywhere overseas to any such country. Someone
> has to get on our server and ask for it. And then we don't send it to
> them, it is some other server somewhere in the store and forward
> chain that breaks the law!
>
> This stuff is about the same level of sillyness as the US
> restrictions on how much physical cash one can bring into the US
> (>$10K raises alarms in customs), but there are no such restrictions
> on electronic funds transfer.
>
> It might be a good idea to restrict SW to certain countries, but this
> is quite unenforcable with the Internet in its current state. I
> forget what the current theory in the US is about having laws that
> are clearly unenforcable .....
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan

	The cash import law actually dates back to import/export of Gold. Many
countries have similair laws. The sudden import or export of large
quantities of cash could have upset the local economies. That said, the
current law is there to try and catch drug smugglers, and gangsters. Avg
Joe Tourist has no real need for $10k in cash. Also, if someone does bring
in that amt of money, and does not declare, you can hold them for a while,
and see if they are really a slightly naive doctor from India, or a drug
runner... ;)

	That said, wireless transfers also have to be declared if >10k in some
situations to. While I don't know about between foreign states and the US,
go to a bank, or Western Union, and you'll see they need a form filled out.

	The US is not the only country with unenforceable laws. But I find they
tend to die in the US quicker. EBay is forced by German law to not show
Nazi Memorabilia to germans ( Illegal for Germans to buy, or even SEE it ).
Now, how do you accurately assoc IPs with international borders... ;)

	EBay is also facing the same mess in France.

	Daniel