[BUG] debugger confuses temp variables

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Feb 7 19:18:07 UTC 2002

Doug Way <dway at riskmetrics.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> For what it's worth, it appears that this bug has been around for a long time... I tried 2.8 and the bug is there.  So in that sense, it's probably not something that despearately needs to be fixed in time for 3.2.  (On the other hand, if there's a simple fix, let's fix it! :-) )

> Mike Rutenberg wrote:
> >
> > If you evaluate the expression below, it will print out the correct
> > variable values in the Transcript and then halt in the debugger.  When
> > you click in the variable pane (pain?), clicking on opt shows the value
> > of filename and visa versa.

This is a side effect of the little hack that allows the compiler to
cope with block temporaries sans proper Closures. What is happening is
that the 'block' temp is actually compiled as a method temp (look at the
decompiled version of the method) and the order can ge mixed up wrt
the method text.

This should not be a problem with the block closures image, so it
probably isn't worth a lot of work now.

tim
Useful random insult:- Runs squares around the competition.