squeak printing?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Feb 8 00:59:50 UTC 2002

>At 11:13 AM -0800 2/7/02, John M McIntosh wrote:
>>But I'm thinking I'm going to implement 5 methods just to start the
>>ball rolling, we can refactor into a more proper implementation
>>once we can actually lay ink on the page.
>>
>>Now on the mac we have a page setup dialog and a print dialog that
>>are used to collect information about what to do. Right now I'm
>>going to play stupid and not return any information about what the
>>user has selected to Squeak, or pass in too much information.
>
>How (or if) multiple-page print runs work isn't clear to me (and the
>extent to which it isn't clear to me will be revealed in the
>questions below   :-)
>

>>pageSetup	- to get the page setup dialog, some platforms might
>>not support
>>preProcessing	- to get the print dialog and or other tasks , some
>>platforms might not support
>>postProcessing	- cleanup if required, some platforms might not support
>>printForm: aForm - print a form
>
>Can you send this message once per page, or more than once per page?
>If more than once, what's the behavior? Are they all on the same
>page? At what offsets?

Let's see in theory you create a PrintJob Instance, then call

a) pageSetup (printSetup) once to setup printer stuff
b) preProcessing once or more to invoke the printer dialog
  printForm:  or printPostscript to print a page based on the form, or I'd guess
  multiple pages depending on what your postscript does.
c) postProcessing to cleanup and terminate printing for this PrintJob Instance.

 From my reading of the os-x implementation you can run multiple print
streams, for os-9 only one at a time (I think) Other platforms will
have different behavior.

The printForms: or printPostscriptPages: are really just convence
methods to feed items to printForm: or printPostScript: Of course I
need to feed a page number in there somewhere.