CPU running smalltalk bytecode

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Fri Feb 8 10:21:36 UTC 2002

Alexandre

Thank you for your quick answer on the module question and the pointer
to your tool. I will try it.

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Bergel Alexandre wrote:

> I have not work at a such low level, but I have some questions. VMs for Java, Smalltalk, OCaml seems to be almost the same. Each one contain features for :
> 	-stack based
> 	-Garbage Collector
> 	-lookup method
>
> Also, I have heard Lex talking about a CPU able to run Smalltalk platform.
> Is it possible to have more information about it ? Perhaps next generation of CPU (Motorola, Intel, AMD, ...) could include such features...

Not directly an answer to your question but a link to a related
area: virtual machines have a twenty or thirty years history in computer
science and are nowadays becoming mainstream, most notably that MS
embraces the concept with the .NET initiative (and the Common Language
Runtime - a VM)

http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/Virtual_machine

gives access to some nine types of virtual machines.

On
http://www.rosetta.com/TechHistory.html#opl-432
you find

>Intel was finishing up the iAPX-432, a 32-bit object-oriented "mainframe
>on a chip", and contracted with me to build a Smalltalk system ("OPL
>432") for the 432 evaluation board product.

It would be an idea to track the papers on this iAPX-432 and try to find
out which were the reasons that it wasn't a success.

Regards
Hannes Hirzel