More Cheap-o Squeak-o hardware

Gary Fisher gafisher at sprynet.com
Fri Feb 8 11:27:40 UTC 2002

Dan and All;

The Compaq IPAQ IA-1 runs Linux, DOS or anything else that fits in the 16meg
solid-state disk just fine.  I'm running a distribution called "Jailbait"
(http://jailbait.sourceforge.net/) which was built and optimized for web
browsing using Netscape and a USB network card.  The IA-1's internal modem
is also usable if the necessary drivers are added, though they're not part
of the regular distribution.

There are some installation issues, the most problematic of which is that
not all of these appear to be "hackable" due to a locked BIOS.  Those which
*are* hackable require disassembly and manual reset
(http://www.php.net/~rasmus/steps.html), not difficult but not for the truly
faint of heart as some people have destroyed their IA-1s in the process.
It's also necessary at this point to install the new OS using the compact
flash slot, generally requiring some gymnastics with image cloning and of
course a second CF-equipped computer (generally a laptop with CF adapter) to
prepare the CF and image.  The IA-1 is also capable of upgrading its OS
remotely via modem or network, but thus far the method for doing so has not
been discerned.

It is possible (in fact necessary) to boot from the CF slot, to which it is
also possible (though not easy) to connect a regular IDE hard disk drive,
and to run from the CF slot.  Doing so presents plenty of room to install
both Linux (or Windows, or BeOS) and Squeak, though it would be infinitely
nicer if someone had the skill to figure a way to run Squeak directly from
the internal solid-state disk.

These are very nice systems; the LCD screen, while less than top-notch, is
good enough to display color photos with perfectly acceptable quality, and
the wireless keyboard with integrated pointing device is not far from the
best I've used, though any USB keyboard and / or mouse can be used if
desired.  The unit is equipped with a built-in mic and speaker, and a jack
for playing stereo audio through headphones or an external amplifier.
Because the IA-1 was designed as a home appliance it requires no fan, so it
runs silently.  All in all I suspect it would work very well in a classroom
situation.

Tiger Direct sold them for US$99 for some time, then ran out, and has now
reintroduced them at $129, still a very good value *IF* the unit you receive
is "hackable."  However, I've heard Compaq also offers the recertified IA-1s
on its website for $99, and have seen them on eBay for even less.  It would
be great if Compaq would make "raw" IA-1s available for development and,
eventually, distribution as Squeak machines, but $129, to say nothing of
$99, has to be less than these things cost to build, so I suppose the hobby
/ hacker market is where these will remain for the nonce.

Gary Fisher