[OT, unix] Looking for recursive soft linking incantation

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Feb 8 21:57:02 UTC 2002

On Friday 08 February 2002 01:29 pm, Tim Rowledge wrote:

> I thought ruby was supposed to be object oriented though? Why would one
> need to use File.basename(srcfile) instead of 'srcfile basename' or
> 'basename(srcfile)' etc ? Puzzling...

perhaps because String doesn't understand basename? This is the same issue we
talked about earlier for Squeak; why should Strings understand filename
manipulation?

This is the same as Squeak's FileDirectory class>>baseNameFor: aString

What both are missing is a Filename class, IMO.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com