CPU running smalltalk bytecode

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Sat Feb 9 22:52:46 UTC 2002

On Friday 08 February 2002 20:12, Roger Vossler wrote:
> [Dave Parnas on FSMs and stacks]
>
> I once had a 6.67Mhz Lilith built out of bit-sliced technology
> executing bytecodes
> with a 12-element expression stack that ran circles around a 30MHz
> Moto 68030.
> The Lilith was programmed entirely in Modula-2.

Tim might be right about a 600 MHz ARM 10, but I am going to see for
myself. While I am working on a proper Smalltalk cpu in FPGA, right now
I am finishing a much smaller and cheaper board meant to be used as an
OO Forth processor. This $30 computer has a 15 thousand gate Spartan II
FPGA on it, but was designed to also work with a 100K gate one. It has
some deadly limitations, like the 16 bit memory bus, but it will be an
interesting experiment to see just how fast Squeak can run on it.

-- Jecel