[Q] Command line session/ Java debugging

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Feb 9 22:10:48 UTC 2002

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 01:21:35PM +0100, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there something like OSProcesses or some code with FFI that I can open
> a DOS-box under Windows and open a session with a command line tool
> like a Java debugger.
>
> I'm asking this because I'd like to check if something like debugging Java
> programs from within Squeak is possible.
>
> What I'm looking for are the implementation possibilites for the
> following:
>
> - edit Java programs from within Squeak (an editor could easily be
>   based on a Workspace; I can build nice browsing possibilities)

You can do this on Windows using CommandShell. Open a "Squeak shell"
and enter the command 'edit myJavaFile.java'. Its 100% Smalltalk, so you
do not need OSProcess for this.

The Squeak shell window is like a DOS box. On Windows, it only has
a few built in commands (of course you can write some more if you want
to emulate MS-DOS for some reason).

> - run javac
> - run a debugging session: set breakpoints and collect information
>   on running Java programs.

See PhiHo's reply. If you out figure a way to hack this into the
OSProcess framework, let me know. I'm still a Windows newbie, so I
can't help much here.

> Does anybody have some ideas (even partial thoughts)?
>
> Note: Why Windows? Answer: Because many people use it and it is not
> feasable to install Linux everywhere. However a Linux-only solution
> would be fine as well for the moment.

On Linux, you can edit files in Squeak (see above) and run compilers
and debuggers using CommandShell with OSProcess. The only thing that
would not work would be a screen oriented program, like vi or anything
that requires curses i/o.

Dave