[Q] Command line session/ Java debugging

John Hinsley johnhinsley at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Feb 10 03:07:26 UTC 2002

On Sat, 09 Feb 2002, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 01:21:35PM +0100, Hannes Hirzel wrote:

//big snip//

> > Does anybody have some ideas (even partial thoughts)?

Seems a bit like spending hours seducing the worlds most attractive woman in
order that you can sleep with a pig!

> > Note: Why Windows? Answer: Because many people use it and it is not
> > feasable to install Linux everywhere. However a Linux-only solution
> > would be fine as well for the moment.

Mmmm. But in most of those places, would it be possible to install Squeak?

My own experience of trying to work on command line java in Windows, even after
I'd installed a decent editor, was that it was still about twice as fast to
work in Linux. Why? Mainly command and file completion and history. I ended up
taking my own Linux box (no laptop) into college on the bus (which amused the
security staff a good deal).

 > On Linux, you can edit files in Squeak (see above) and run compilers
 > and debuggers using CommandShell with OSProcess. The only thing that
 > would not work would be a screen oriented program, like vi or anything
 > that requires curses i/o.

OK, it's cheating a bit, but you can still (can't check it 'cos a massive
download is using up all my memory) do gvim my_java_file.java from Squeak shell.

--
They're afraid, very afraid......
According to CRN magazine, Microsoft staff discovering Linux in use