[Q] Command line session/ Java debugging

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Sat Feb 9 23:42:56 UTC 2002

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 01:21:35PM +0100, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Is there something like OSProcesses or some code with FFI that I can open
> > a DOS-box under Windows and open a session with a command line tool
> > like a Java debugger.
> >
> > I'm asking this because I'd like to check if something like debugging Java
> > programs from within Squeak is possible.
> >
> > What I'm looking for are the implementation possibilites for the
> > following:
> >
> > - edit Java programs from within Squeak (an editor could easily be
> >   based on a Workspace; I can build nice browsing possibilities)
>
> You can do this on Windows using CommandShell. Open a "Squeak shell"
> and enter the command 'edit myJavaFile.java'. Its 100% Smalltalk, so you
> do not need OSProcess for this.
>
> The Squeak shell window is like a DOS box. On Windows, it only has
> a few built in commands (of course you can write some more if you want
> to emulate MS-DOS for some reason).
>
> > - run javac
> > - run a debugging session: set breakpoints and collect information
> >   on running Java programs.

I was not aware that the CommandShell goodie runs as well
in Windows. Having a window with Smalltalk workspace capabilities _and_
some DOS command access gives a whole new set of possibilities of using
Squeak. I imagine that this goodie will augment the time I'm spending
using Squeak considerably.

What pleases me is the excellent documentation:
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1914

Thank you for all replies!

Hannes Hirzel