Block Closures are here!

Scott A Crosby crosby at qwes.math.cmu.edu
Sun Feb 10 17:05:10 UTC 2002

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Anthony Hannan wrote:

> I finally finished implementing block closures.  Please check it out
> on the swiki at
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/NewBlockClosureVersion.  Feel free
> to email me if you have any questions.  I put a lot of work into this,
> so I hope it gets used and eventually gets into the main release.

I've just looked at your changes. It looks like your stuff is basically
completely independent of my stuff. I've built a VM with both of our stuff
in it. The results are on the list?

Any idea if/when the BC stuff will support running all of the
macrobenchmarks? I'd like this for two reasons. First, to compare the full
VM to stock, and second, so that I can run intensive profiling and
analysis of the VM, before things are fixed for V4.. My VM is already
showing indications of unpleasant things. I've found more ways where the
current object header appears to be incurring 5-15% slowdown.

BC doesn't support enough of macrobenchmarks to make such profiling too
useful at this point.

Scott