Fonts, was Re: [License]...

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at san.rr.com
Mon Feb 11 07:26:25 UTC 2002

On Sunday, February 10, 2002, at 09:30  PM, Lex Spoon wrote:

>> Part of the understanding with Doug was that they be distributed only
>> when included with an image, not separately, and that notice about the
>> origin of the fonts be included in  an appropriate place, like a
>> comment
>> but preferably in the WtS window, and that they be nontrivial to
>> extract
>> and converted back to their original form.  The primary reason was that
>> he also sells the Windows versions of these fonts in some form and
>> doesn't want someone competing with his own fonts.
>

> This is better than an Apple-restricted font, but why don't we try for a
> *really* free font?  Surely there are some around, e.g. whatever Debian
> uses for XWindows.
>
> Note that it really is going to be easy to extract a font from a Squeak
> image -- Squeak is an interactive programming system, and it's
> *designed* to make this kind of thing easy.  It would be really
> irritating not to have #exportOnFileNamed:, just because of licensing.

I'm sorry I wasn't sufficiently clear enough about this - it was simply
an understanding with Doug, not a license term.  I assured him that I
would make best effort to meet his requests, but the license is pure,
unmodified SqL - the StrikeFonts are just as "free" as Squeak is.

As to the export of fonts, he was concerned mostly about export to
Windows FON format files, not to files in general.  And since Squeak
does not currently do so, and that it requires coding, this is a
sufficient barrier.  He was made aware that this might easily change in
the future.  In addition, some of the Windows characters were removed
and new MacRoman characters added, and many hand tweaks were applied, so
there's actually very little danger that anyone could produce his
original set identically from the Squeak StrikeFonts.

His requests were reasonable in comparison to the magnitude of his
contribution, and I saw no reason not to try and follow them wherever
possible,

As to X fonts, you'll probably find that a lot of them contain Adobe and
BitStream copyright notices, whatever that might mean.  I've actually
been disappointed with the quality of the free bitmap fonts, but I'm
sure others may see value in them.

-- Duane