Fonts, was Re: [License]...

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Feb 11 07:30:17 UTC 2002

>Note that it really is going to be easy to extract a font from a Squeak
>image -- Squeak is an interactive programming system, and it's
>*designed* to make this kind of thing easy.  It would be really
>irritating not to have #exportOnFileNamed:, just because of licensing.
>

>-Lex

Lex I think it was
"and that they be nontrivial to extract and converted back to their
original form"

Is there code in the image right now to take a font and build a
window font file? As the computer industry has shown Hollywood there
are lots of non-trival steps needed to take most any format of
information and convert to another form, ie defeat copy protection.

However I think Duane said he'd make it non-trival, not impossible.

At 1:30 AM -0400 2/11/02, Lex Spoon wrote:
>This is better than an Apple-restricted font?

Yes it removes a restriction that bothered some folks.

Now I'm sure this work was kicked off in mid 2000.

From a note I posted back in June of 2001, since I'm sure someone is
going to ask about the licence (again)

Squeak World Tour note:
	The Apple and Microsoft fonts referred to in this license
have been expunged from this image. There are no Apple or Microsoft
derived fonts in this image. Information on the fonts in this image
may be found in the script titled, AccuFont License. This image is
derived from the Squeak 2.8 base image and virtual machine.
Additional code provided by Squeakers world wide has been included

The AccuFontLicense.text file reads:

"Copyright Arts Management Systems, Ltd."

© Arts Management Systems Ltd.

  The fonts distributed as part of this base image are derived from
fonts copyright Arts Management Systems, Ltd. Use of the fonts in
derivative software products is allowed.

  The fonts should retain their AccuFont names.

  The acknowledgement should read: