[BUG] Hugely inefficient FTP code: coding opportunity

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 11 19:00:44 UTC 2002

> The other option is supporting HTTP PUT, Cees would be willing to make the
> server support this, but this may not be trivial. I am not planning to spend
> my time on this.

When I worked on MuSwiki, a system similar to SuperSwiki, I ended up
making my own network protocol.  HTTP is only convenient if you use it
minimally; trying to push more out of it is a recipe for needless
misery.  A custom protocol isn't that hard, and will function on any
computer that Squeak runs on.  For example, suppose you'd like to
negotiate a Nebraska session with anyone currently logged into the
server?  Suppose you'd like to automatically lock a page while it is
being editted?

MuSwiki linked from the Swiki, for anyone interested.  (err, well, now
it's linked. :))

-Lex