[BUG] Hugely inefficient FTP code: coding opportunity

Cees de Groot cg at home.cdegroot.com
Mon Feb 11 21:10:02 UTC 2002

Lex Spoon <lex at cc.gatech.edu> said:
>> The other option is supporting HTTP PUT, Cees would be willing to make the
>> server support this, but this may not be trivial. I am not planning to spend
>> my time on this.
>When I worked on MuSwiki, a system similar to SuperSwiki, I ended up
>making my own network protocol.  HTTP is only convenient if you use it
>minimally; trying to push more out of it is a recipe for needless
>misery.

OTOH, HTTP PUT in this context would be using it for precisely the
thing it was designed for: publishing stuff to web servers. The format
is extremely simple (PUT <pathname> HTTP/1.0, CRLF, Content-type:
application/binary CRLF, Authorization: basic; usernamepasswordinbase64
CRLF CRLF, data - from the back of my head, but that's basically the
whole thing you need to send), and I have looked around and enabling it
on the SqF modules server wouldn't be terribly hard so I'd be willing to put
some time into it (Apache can do HTTP PUT out-of-the-box through mod_put, but
for the SqF modules server I'd need a suid CGI script that switches to the
authorized user and does some pathname checks so that modules would be
uploaded to safe areas only and with the correct ownership information;
however, if someone wants to take a stab at this your local Apache install
will serve you quite allright).

You shouldn't abuse protocols for things they weren't designed to do; but you
shouldn't reinvent wheels that are already available...

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>