a tale of 4 cpus (was: CPU running smalltalk bytecode)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Feb 12 02:28:07 UTC 2002

On Monday 11 February 2002 17:41, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> Jecel Assumpcao Jr <jecel at merlintec.com> is claimed by the
authorities to have written:
> > [Would 4.8e+16 bytes per second make you happy?]
>
> Well I suppose we could live with it...is that burst or steady flow
> bandwidth?

I suppose you could call it burst, since although it could sustain that
pace in normal operation you only have 1/3 of that rate.

> Costs for cache misses, branches etc?

No such things. I did mention it was a totally non Von Neumann design.
Objects and messages to the metal.

You didn't ask about latency. The very worst case would be 4 ms!
Typical would be around 128 ns.

> As for a name - how
> about FHB? As in F*%%$%ng High Bandwidth :-)

He, he... you might have noticed that when dreams come true they are
sometimes nightmares :-)

-- Jecel