How do I debug an arbitrary Process? Help!

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Feb 12 06:11:47 UTC 2002

Ever since the debugger changes, the ProcessBrowser can't debug processes any
more. I'm trying to get this to work in 3.2g; I don't want a broken
ProcessBrowser to ship with 3.2.

So I'm trying to fix this.

However, I can't get the debugger's Proceed to work. Perhaps a debugging
expert could help me get this back working again.

I've tried this from a workspace:

    p _ [[ 123.4 printString ] repeat ] forkAt: Processor
userBackgroundPriority.
    p suspend.
    Debugger openContext: p suspendedContext label: 'interrupted'  contents:
nil.

Now, this brings up a Notifier.

If I choose Proceed from the Notifier, the UI task hangs.

If I choose Debug, it usually opens up a Debugger that almost works (that is,
it often won't step correctly).

However, I can't get the debugger to close and resume the process. If I try
Proceed from the Debugger, the UI task hangs.

Can anyone help me get the Debugger to work with arbitrary suspended
processes (i.e. non-UI ones that weren't interrupted with Cmd-. or hit halts
or other exceptions)?

Thanks,
--
Ned Konz