More Cheap-o Squeak-o hardware

D Whitehorn-Umphres dawumail at progarts.com
Mon Feb 11 21:38:02 UTC 2002

Since I'm the one whose been egging Dan on about the IA-1, here's an update.
We *completely* disassembled one (uh, short of desoldering) on Friday night
and it's not too hardware upgradable, except for the socketed processor.
OTOH, it was a trivial exercise to follow some instructions at
linux-hackers.net and get Slackware Linux running, albeit with just a shell.

The one question we can find an answer to is: what's the unused 10-pin (2x5)
connector on the motherboard.  On a "normal" PC, it'd be a serial connector.
Slackware reports finding 2 16550 serial ports, but I don't know if it's
just counting the IR keyboard and the modem offspring-board.

Will probably be trying FreeBSD, remote and local, this week, for no other
reason than that we (me and the mouse in my pocket) know FreeBSD reasonably
well.

Has anyone on this list ported Squeak to the metal on any platform?  How
about to a non-Windows/non-X GUI toolkit?  Some of the Unix GUI toolkits
(those intended for kiosks) seem very fast and small and it might be easier
to get a very small kernel running along with a GUI library and stick Squeak
on *that*.

Will report when/if Squeak lives on the MSN companion.  Shouldn't be too
difficult, modulo the "small"* memory, since an IDE device can be plugged
directly into the CF port with a small adapter.  It's really just a
not-very-expandable PC.

- -D W-U

*Ok, I admit it, I'm old.  To me, 32MB is the quantity of memory in my
entire first VAXcluster. Type louder or I won't be able to hear you.