[IMAGE] General Questions

Markus Fritsche Fritsche.Markus at gmx.net
Wed Feb 13 09:33:23 UTC 2002

Hi!

As I'm a newbie to squeak, flame me to death if I'm asking a FAQ - I found
nothing.

Is there a possibility to get an minimal image (say Kernel, Network and
Graphics)
to manually build up a suitable image for servers or pdas?

embedded squeak is a 2.2 version image, and the image for the ipaq is
6MB(!!!) big, with demos, toys, games and other things wasting space
and cpu cycles on a pda (or server).

In short, are there plans for something like "squeak-apt install: 'Swiki'"
so
that all dependencies are checked and packages will be installed, so
that I'm able to build an image bottom up instead of shrinking a monster
of an image?
As I said before, I am a newbie; I don't know which objects I could remove
from the system dictionary and which packages (btw. is there a more
comfortable
way to delete these two things than point, click, point, click,... :-)?).

Looking at soapOpera, I'd like to use squeak to learn more about webservices
and interoperability between different languages like C#, java and
squeak-smalltalk;
that's my motivation to get a more server-like image without all this
3d-Graphics
and other nice desktop features...

Thank you for your patience, Markus Fritsche

--
SIGSTOP

http://www.gmx.net