[OT] Yorkshire programmers, was RE: More Cheap-o Squeak-o hardwar e

Jarvis, Robert P. (Contingent) Jarvisb at timken.com
Wed Feb 13 13:10:59 UTC 2002

> From: Craig Latta [mailto:Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG]
>
> > Has anyone on this list ported Squeak to the metal on any platform?
>
> 	Oh god, here we go. :)  Even I've done this, and I
> wasn't going to say
> anything. :)
>
> > > *Ok, I admit it, I'm old.  To me, 32MB is the quantity of
> memory in
> > > my entire first VAXcluster. Type louder or I won't be able to hear
> > > you.
> >
> > My first big machine had 32Kb and took five passes of paper tape to
> > compile a FORTRAN prog.
>
> 	Stop this right now. :)

You're right.  This kind of thing needs to be nipped in the bud or before
you know it we'll soon have some antideluvian old fart reminiscing about his
first machine, where the main memory was a 2K-word (word=18 bits,
interpreted as 6 octal digits) drum, and all programming was done by
entering instructions via the pushbuttons on the front panel.  FORTRAN?
Paper tape?  Luxury!!!

But you try and tell the young people today that, and they won't believe
you.

:-)

Bob Jarvis
Compuware @ Timken

This message and any attachments are intended for the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended
recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this
communication to others; also please notify the sender by
replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.

The Timken Company