[OT] Yorkshire programmers, was RE: More Cheap-o Squeak-o hardware

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Feb 13 21:09:27 UTC 2002

"Duane Maxwell" <dmaxwell at san.rr.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> > Our managers expected us to connect the vacuum tubes by hand; 300 volts,
> and
> > we'd be droppin' like flies durin' even the simplest bubble sort . . .
>
> Vacuum tubes? That's Utopia!
>
> In my day, we'd count hings using our fingers.  If we needed numbers larger
> than 10, we'd take our shoes off.  When we got to 21, well.....
Bah. See http://thestarport.org/people/steve/Doc/Songs/lad.html (it _is_
on topic, it explicitly mentions Smalltalk - the author is an
oldex-PARCer, and at least tried to port Squeak to the Agenda)
Also http://www.smacdonald.com/songs/boy.html , the original of
which the above is a filk, which includes the immortal lines
	And we programmed in ones and in zeros
	And sometimes we ran out of ones!

tim

Strange OpCodes: SDP: Search and Destroy Pointer