More Cheap-o Squeak-o hardware

Craig Latta Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG
Wed Feb 13 22:05:07 UTC 2002

Hi d--

> So I searched around and found a few messages that discuss the
> bare-metal port, but I didn't see anything detailed.  I was hoping to
> see some technical examples of how to get started on this (running
> raw on the Compaq IA-1, a thinly-disguised PC).

	Have you looked at SqueakNOS ("Squeak No Operating System",
http://sourceforge.net/projects/squeaknos), by Notarfrancesco et al?
It's made some great progress.

	Just as a data point: Tim and I (and several others who, I think, don't
follow this mailing list) worked on a bare-metal Squeak port to ARM
hardware (the infamous "Interval MediaPad"). It was nice, and I hope to
help get it all available eventually, but I think it'd be a lot more
work to get something satisfying out of it on x86 hardware than by
starting with SqueakNOS.

	(Apologies if I'm repeating something already mentioned.)

-C

--
Craig Latta
composer and computer scientist